1. What mood are you looking to convey? If you want to set a romantic tone, pick softer colors. Looking for something fun and more dramatic? Then you'll want to go bolder.
2. What time of year are you getting married? Spring tends to lean towards brighter, lighter colors while Fall leans towards darker colors. Below are Pantone's color trend forecasts for Spring & Fall 2011.
3. Where is your reception? Choose colors that will compliment the room if possible.
4. What are you and your fiance's favorite colors? You can choose one color and then use this Online Color Scheme Generator to find complimentary colors or a range of shades. (I'm warning you, it's a lot of fun and kind of addicting!)
5. Once you decide on your colors - use them in everything! Bridesmaid dresses, table linens, invitations (and all other stationery), favors, flowers...even your shoes!
I'd love to hear from you if you have any other helpful tips or want to share your wedding colors!