Monday, November 24, 2008

"....Just Like Pasta Fagiolle, That's Amore!"

I’ve been sorting through my little recipe box and picking out my favorite recipes from friends and family to add to the recipe book I’m putting together. Unfortunately, the company I blogged about that makes the cool books is closing and is no longer taking new orders. If you know of someone that makes those books, please let me know! I can design the pages myself and have them printed, but I really liked the format of that book! Anyway, it was a chilly night last night, so I pulled out my favorite Pasta Fagiolle recipe and made a pot of it.

This recipe is from an old friend, Claudette, who I used to teach with many moons ago. Although I’m Italian (my maiden name is Nardello), and my mom has given me a bunch of fabulous recipes, she never made Pasta Fagiolle because she hates beans. I think the first time I ever had this delicious soup was when Claudette gave me the recipe because she thought I'd like it. It was love at first taste for me.

Claudette’s Pasta Fagiolle

serves 6
Ingredients:
· olive oil (enough to swirl around the bottom of a big pot)
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 onion, diced
· 2 celery stalks (with the leaves), diced
· 1 large can tomato sauce
· 1 tbs garlic powder (I don’t measure, I just eyeball it)
· 1 tbs dried basil
· 1 tbs dried parsley
· 1 large can cannelloni beans (with the juice)
· salt and pepper to taste
· pasta (I like to use small bow ties because I think they are pretty)

Directions
1. heat oil in pot
2. add celery, onion, salt and pepper and saute until tender
3. add tomato sauce and ½ can of water
4. sprinkle garlic powder, parsley and basil over top, stirring after adding each spice
5. bring to a fast boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes on low
6. cook pasta separately
7. add beans and juice and cook 5-10 more minutes
8. add pasta to soup and serve

Garlic bread, salad and a glass of wine (or 2) go perfectly with this! Best served on snowy nights. Enjoy!

Pin It!

2 comments:

Tara said...

There is a website that I was thinking of making a photo book with that also does cookbooks. It's www.inkubook.com

Maria Elena said...

Thanks, Tara! I'm off to check it out now!